Blooming in Gorebridge (BIG for short, pardon the pun) garden competition aims to encourage our community to make use of and enhance their gardening/horticulture/growing skills to help the environment, look after green spaces, improve the appearance of the village and bring back the bees. Entry is free with categories to suit everybirdy.
- Best household front and/or garden
- Best blooming street
- Best commercial, retail or landscaping display
- Best blooming tub/container
- Best school/educational garden
- Best window box
- Best community garden (i.e. voluntary group space, block of flats, shared spaces)
- Best wildlife garden
- Best edible garden
- Best blooming garden photograph
- Best pet in garden picture
- Brightest and best-est, tallest sunflower
Judging will be scored on:
- Overall design (colour, appropriate plants for situation, quality of plants, upkeep and wow factor).
- Wildlife (wildlife-friendly plants and features eg bird/insect boxes)
- Recycling (compost bins, imaginative/practical use and re-use of materials)
- Sustainability (water conservation/retention, use of permanent planting)
Entries in the ‘Best blooming street or community garden’ category will be also be judged on the number of people involved and how effectively the group has worked as a team to enhance the area.
Entries in the ‘Best blooming garden photograph’ will be a public vote. All entries will be posted on the Trust website and Facebook page.
Entries in the ‘Best school/educational garden’ category will also be judged on overall cleanliness of the grounds as well as the amount of effort that goes into environmental education.
- Competition opens – 2nd July 2018
- Closing Date – 13th August 2018
- Judging begins 14th August 2018
- Prizegiving – 26 October 2018
Rules of entry
- All entries must fall within the EH23 4.
- All entrants must complete the official entry form (available here)
- Only one entry per household/community group/business/school will be accepted
- Photographs submitted as part of an entry must have been taken in June or July of the year of entry.
- Entries which consist of or include artificial plants will be rejected.
- Entries must be submitted by the closing date. No entries will be accepted after this date.
- No correspondence will be entered into and the judges’ decision will be final.
Check back soon for more and official entry forms.
For further details contact firstname.lastname@example.org